World Humanitarian Day has put women in the spotlight this year. You may be wondering why it is important to focus on women aid workers? There are at least two reasons:
- The presence of women makes it possible to reach populations and to be accepted in areas where it would not be possible without them.
- Humanitarian women experience gender-based violence: they are more likely to be kidnapped or subjected to sexual harassment, including within the organization for which they work.
August 19th is an opportunity to remember the important role that women have in the field but also the fact that they are on the front line.
If you want to know more, you can:
- Watch the message of the Secretary-General of the United Nations on the occasion of this World Humanitarian Day.
- Watch the 24 videos illustrating the action of women in the humanitarian sector.
- Read this article from the Guardian or this other one from Devex on the issue of violence against humanitarian women.